Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Somewhere over the rainbow

This is a lovely ballad written by E.Y. Harburg and composed by Harold Arlen in 1939. since then, over 20 artistes have sung it, including Cliff Richard, Eric Clapton, Jason Castro, Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, Jeff Beck, Nina Hagen and others..

This version is by late Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole 'IZ' from Hawai'i (May 20, 1959 – June 26, 1997)

I found his version, a nice simple video which truly carried the theme of the song forward, in his lovely voice and the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q
Here I am also giving the lyrics just in case if you wanna humm along with it:

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby. Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.
Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.
Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

1 comment:

  1. Also found the cliff richards live performance at Leeds Castle - Kent, England.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVranrmetMY

    Quite a different way that he's sung it but knowing his phenomenal vocal range, he's sung it so effortlessly....that he merged it with "What a wondeful world"..

    ReplyDelete